You have the best taste. More than Craigslist, Indeed, Idealist, and any of the recruitment tools around, the people who know and love AGC are the best recruiting tool. Can you help us find an exemplary 5th-grade educator? We are looking for a bilingual (Spanish-English) educator who shares our passion for dual language and IB education and exemplifies global citizenship. Our dual language program currently extends to 4th grade, so we are looking for a teacher to finish the year with our monolingual students and jump into dual language next year. Please share far and wide!
The Academy for Global Citizenship (AGC) is a non-profit Chicago public charter school, located on the Southwest side. Our mission is to develop mindful leaders who take action now and in the future to positively impact their communities and the world beyond. Our innovative and holistic approach aims to foster systemic change and inspire the way society educates future generations. AGC values:
5th Grade Teacher (Spanish/English) – Immediate Opening
The Academy for Global Citizenship seeks an exemplary bilingual and biliterate (Spanish/English) elementary school teacher to lead students through a holistic interdisciplinary International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme. We are looking for someone who can start immediately. For the remainder of this year, this teacher will teach 5th grade in English. Next year, the position will switch to a dual language 5th-grade position. The dual language teacher leads students through a two-way immersion program, where about 50% of students are native English speakers, 50% are native Spanish speakers. Instruction occurs in Spanish and English. This position is ideal for a passionate bilingual/biliterate educator seeking a collaborative, open environment for whole-student learning.
- Teaching: Uses various modes of learning to accommodate different learning styles: real-life experiences, current events, technology, arts and more.
○ Exhibition: Unique to the 5th grade IB program, teachers will lead students through an independent inquiry where students will be investigating and offering solutions to real-life issues or problems.
- Instructional Strategies: Uses many types of instructional strategies including teaching through inquiry, differentiating instruction and using data to guide planning
- Technology Integration: Incorporates technology across all disciplines as much as possible, where appropriate
- Professional Development: Participates in coaching cycle, stays abreast of latest techniques and demonstrates an eagerness to learn new skills and share experiences with others
- Curriculum Development: Works closely with coach, other teachers to align curriculum with Common
Core Learning Standards, the IB PYP, and achieving the goals of the school
- Performance Assessment: Sets high and measurable goals for student achievement and evaluates student progress using summative and formative assessments
- Community: Encourages the use of community resources, cooperates with families in welcoming them to our community, and maintains solid communication with all community members
We are looking for staff who…
- Have a big heart to match a big brain
- Want their work to define best practice
- Respect and thrive in a dynamic, changing, and growing environment
- Know extraordinary things can happen when people work hard together
- Want to participate in a laboratory for innovation in education
Working at AGC means…
- Being surrounded by thoughtful, inquisitive students and hard-working, like-minded colleagues
- Thinking outside of the box to do what is best for our students
- Gaining experience with interdisciplinary International Baccalaureate Units of Inquiry, balanced literacy, arts integration, and TERC Investigations Math
- Having high academic expectations for every student in the school every day
- Getting your hands dirty in our school garden while working in an environmentally sustainable school culture
- Enjoying 100% organic, scratch made meals prepared by our on-site chef
Required Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years experience as an educator
- Bilingual and biliterate (English/Spanish)
- Familiarity with IB program, inquiry-based teaching, and Responsive Classroom
- Believer in culturally relevant teaching
- Strong leadership, initiative, communication skills and personal drive
- Ability to maintain a safe, orderly environment
- Proven ability to play a lead role in their grade level
- Experience with RTI process and accommodating students with IEPs in the classroom
- Bachelor Degree in Education
- Master’s Degree in Education or related fields (ideal)
- State of Illinois Teaching Certificate
- Endorsement or extensive experience in ELL instruction
Competitive salary based on experience and level of education. Full benefits, free breakfast and lunch, wellness fund, and professional development funds offered.
To view up-to-date grade level vacancies and to submit an online application, please visit:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age national origin, or disability.