AGC’s holistic, student centered learning environment supports a diversity of learning styles. As such, we are proud to serve a special needs population that exceeds district averages. In the past 7 years, roughly 20% of our students have received special education services. Like their peers, these students are participating in the academically rigorous International Baccalaureate Programme, learning a second or third language, presenting independent research on globally relevant topics, and excelling in an academic environment that encourages their growth as a leader in their community. Thanks in great part to the work of our special education team, our special education students achieve tremendous academic growth, often at a higher rate than their peers.
Please share the job description below with special education professionals far and wide.
Special Education Teacher
Teachers are responsible for helping all of our children learn, classroom management, participating in professional development, providing feedback to others, taking ownership in the development and improvements of Individual Educational Plan (IEP), consulting general education teachers on special needs, and communicating to staff and parents regarding student performance. Teachers must be committed to promoting in students the student profile qualities as described by the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (PYP): inquirers, thinkers, communicators, risk takers, knowledgeable, principled, caring, open-minded, well-balanced, and reflective. Special Ed teachers report to the Principal.
- Teaching: provides students with special needs with various modes of learning to accommodate their different learning styles, by using inquiry, real-life experiences, current events, information technology, the dramatic arts and other lively sources of knowledge.
- Instructional Strategies: responsible for using many different types of instructional strategies including teaching through inquiry, differentiating instruction (different learning styles and language backgrounds) and data-driven instruction.
- Technology Integration: incorporates technology across all disciplines as much as possible, where appropriate.
- Professional Development: participates in coaching cycle, stays abreast of latest techniques and demonstrates an eagerness to learn new skills and share experiences with others.
- Curriculum Development: works closely with coach, other teachers to ensure taught curriculum is aligned with Common Core Learning Standards, the IB PYP/MYP, and is achieving the goals of the school.
- IEP’s: designs and writes the IEP or 504 plans of students in his/her caseload based on evidence-based data and in regards to Spec. Ed law.
- Performance Assessment: sets high and measurable goals for student achievement and evaluates student progress in the instructional program.
- Community: encourages the use of community resources, cooperates with families in welcoming them to our community, and maintains solid communication with all community members.
The Academy for Global Citizenship…
- Believes great teaching can transform the world
- I convinced all students can learn
- Strives every single day to make our school a remarkable place
- Is not afraid to take risks to do what is best for students
- Takes our name and mission seriously
- Doesn’t settle for good but strives for great
We are looking for staff who…
- Have a big heart to match a big brain
- Are bilingual in English/Spanish (preferred, not required)
- Want your work to define best practice
- Respect and thrive in a dynamic, changing, and growing environment
- Know extraordinary things can happen when people work hard
- Are approximately 10 degrees off center
Working at AGC means…
- Being surrounded by extraordinary, inquisitive students and hard-working, like-minded colleagues
- Thriving in a dynamic, changing, and growing environment
- Being held to high standards for continuous personal and school improvement
- Having high academic expectations for every student in the school everyday
- Trying things again and again and again until we get it right
- Getting your hands dirty in our school garden
- Supporting Teaching through interdisciplinary International Baccalaureate Units of Inquiry, balanced literacy, arts integration, and TERC Investigations Math
- Working in an environmentally friendly setting
- Working hard and thinking outside of the box to do what is best for our students
Required Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years experience as an educator (ideal)
- Bilingual and biliterate (English/Spanish) (ideal)
- Familiarity with IB program (ideal)
- Familiarity with various educational models: Inquiry-based teaching and Responsive Classroom
- Believer in culturally relevant teaching
- Strong leadership skills and personal drive
- Ability to maintain a safe, orderly environment
- Strong communication skills
- Proven ability to play a lead role in their grade level
- Experience accommodating students with IEPs within the classroom
- Bachelor Degree in Special Education
- Master’s Degree in Special education(ideal)
- State of Illinois Teaching Certificate (Type 03 and 10)
- Endorsement or extensive experience in ELL instruction (ideal)