AGC is looking for a passionate environmentalists with a strong background in business administration for a full time, on-site Business and Sustainability Manager.
We are calling on all our friends and advocates to share this job posting far and wide to help AGC recruit the best person for this role. Please share this post with any and all with a passion for environmental and financial sustainability, green business, and public education.
Business & Sustainability Manager
The Academy for Global Citizenship (AGC) is a non-profit Chicago public charter school, located on the underserved Southwest side of Chicago. Our innovative and holistic approach to education aims to foster systemic change and inspire the way society educates our future generations. We are producing a replicable model for learning in the 21st century, including the construction of a net-positive energy campus.
The Business & Sustainability Manager is tasked with managing the day-to-day financial and operational needs of a public elementary school. To ensure AGC’s unique mission is reflected in our daily operations, the Business & Sustainability Manager works with the administrative and operations staff to source and manage resources sustainably. The ideal candidate is a passionate environmentalist who is highly proficient in QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel. While this position is collaborative across the AGC community, the Business & Sustainability Manager reports to the Principal.
Monitoring School Sustainability:
- Maintain and continuously improve AGC’s Environmental Sustainability Policy (ESP) and initiatives with the aim of becoming a national model for environmentally sustainable school operations.
- Ensure sustainable practices are researched, developed, implemented and evaluated in compliance with the school’s ESP, particularly pertaining to operations.
- Oversee sustainable food sourcing, working with AGC’s kitchen staff, organic meal provider and school leaders to strategically evaluate costs, enhance sustainable sourcing and lower food miles.
- Work with AGC’s School Garden Coordinator and Organic Chef to integrate schoolyard garden produce.
- Serve as an ambassador for sharing AGC’s best practices in sustainability by presenting at conferences, hosting tours and attending related networking events.
- Lead future net-positive energy campus developments as they pertain to sustainability; participate in key architect and design meetings.
- Administer effective accounting and budgeting efforts, including payroll, insurance and benefits.
- Prepare annual budget in collaboration with the Administrative Team. Ensure timely internal and Board review of the financial condition and performance relative to financial objectives.
- Monitor budgets to ensure that all expenditure of funds meet all state, federal, local, and grant guidelines. Provide accounting and reporting for all gifts, grants and donations.
- Manage procurement and inventory of school supplies and process expense reimbursements.
- Manage data for school testing, demographics, and enrollment.
- Maintain QuickBooks data entry.
- Manage banking business and technology related vendor relationships, flows of funds, procurement, etc., and ensure an effective system of internal control is present by enforce financial and accounting policies.
- Oversee the annual audit and ensure compliance with all reporting entities, including Chicago Public Schools, and an array of foundation and government funding sources.
- Serve as a liaison with AGC’s E-rate consultant on the funding application processes and reporting
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- A fervent commitment to environmental sustainability and related experience
- Entrepreneurial thinker with a desire to support the vision and mission of AGC
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong problem-solving capabilities
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and perform at a high level under pressure
- Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience; growth opportunities available.
- Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressing the following: Write about your most profound learning experience and how it’s impacted your life.